Sunday, February 28, 2010

"Cooking Class"

Ok, being in the hottest country ever, I often find it difficult to cook, something I really used to enjoy. But, tonight I was inspired to make chicken fingers and sweet potato fries. I searched for a recipe I once had and found it, but I had neglected to buy the correct ingredients (I thought it had cornflakes, but it was breadcrumbs...oops). I decided to do some substitutions and came up with a thoroughly enjoyable recipe of my own which is super easy to make and the kids wolfed down. So, here it is in case you are ever in the mood...

Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Sauce (original recipe from Canadian living but I have changed it ~ changed version follows)

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or stir fry chicken which is already cut ~ saves work!)

1 egg
about 1/4 c buttermilk (oops, didn't measure)

1/2 c finely grated Parmesan cheese (i buy the kraft 3 cheeses in the shaker jar ~ parm, asiago and reggiano?)
1/2 c crushed cornflakes
1 tsp ground dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

You can pound chicken with flat side of meat pounder or rolling pin until 1/2 inch thick (I didn't and turned out fine but I used small strips already). Cut lengthwise on diagonal into 4 x 1 1/2 inch strips. In shallow bowl, whisk egg with buttermilk. In a separate shallow bowl, combine cheese, cornflakes, oregano, salt and pepper. One at a time, dip chicken strips into egg mixture, letting any excess drip back into bowl. Dredge in cheese mixture, coating generously and pressing to adhere. (you can keep in fridge in airtight container for 24 hrs or freeze up to 2 weeks ~ bake frozen adding 5 min. to baking time). Arrange on greased baking sheets and bake at 425 C until crispy and no longer pink inside (about 15 min.)

Honey Mustard Sauce:
1/3 c. light mayonaise
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp liquid honey

Combine all ingredients in small bowl. Will keep in fridge for up to 3 days.

Serve chicken fingers with honey mustard sauce, spicy thai sauce or sweet and sour sauce (or anything else that tickles your fancy...if you're Hayden it would be honey mustard sauce hand-mixed with ketchup)

We also made a side of sweet potato fries ~ peel sweet potato, slice in french fry sized strips, coat with olive oil and add some spices (I used oregano and cayenne). Cook in 350 - 425 oven for 15 - 20 mins depending on size of slices. My kids like to eat these with ketchup, honey mustard sauce, mayo or sour cream.

Ok, there it is, my non low-fat supper...but it sure tasted good!

No comments: