Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Last Few Weeks

Here we are counting down to the last few weeks in KL...actually it's one week from today! YIKES! I'm really excited to be returning home, but also the thought of leaving all my fantastic friends here is a little overwhelming. The kids are also really starting to feel it, and meltdowns and grumpiness prevail in our household. It is nearly impossible to get Hayden to go to school. Alyssa is excited to go but wants to do everything perfectly for her friends. I'm probably working harder now than I have all year putting in extra hours and trying to get things organized for the teacher who will take my place. I can't help but dream of all the things that I will once again be part of in Canada which all of you take for granted. So, in the spirit of my friend Jenn, following is a top 10 list:

10. seasons ~ KL is almost the same temperature everyday

9. space ~ after 2 years in a condo, my own house (and farm) will be so welcome

8. an oven that maintains a consistent temperature ~ SERIOUSLY people!

7. pets ~ no pets allowed in our condo, so we don't even have a cat

6. hardware stores ~ and in knowing where to find things in them!

5. stock lah ~ how many times have I walked into a story picked something out (like a pair of shoes) only for the clerk to tell me "no stock lah" or "finished lah" (even when it says new arrivals!)

4. clothing stores where I do not have to buy XXXXXXXXL clothing, and sales clerks not asking "lady, why you so fat?" (ok, this didn't happen to me, it happened to my friend who is about a size 6)

3. Laws ~ there are laws here, they just aren't enforced....people park wherever they want, sometimes double, triple parked way into the one way, single lane street! (there are other things)

2. Well stocked and organized grocery stores

1. My friends and family.


Ok, now, in fairness to my 2.5 years in KL I feel I should do a "things I will miss in KL" list (Jenn, I'll have you know lists are addictive)

10. paying $20 for an entire season of a tv show

9. The fantastic lightning and rain storms on a regular basis ~ the rain here is phenomenal and we are the lightning capital because of all the tin in the soil

8. walking to school (across the street)

7. Night Markets and the veggie man ~ fresher than fresh fruits and vegetables as well as a plethora of other things

6. Restaurants ~ we have so many fantastic ones that I am only just discovering

5. The fantastic school where I work ~ seriously awesome kids and great teachers

4. Our condo swimming pool right out the door

3. my 5:30 a.m. running group and Wed. Hip Hop Class

2. Cheap travel to exotic destinations like Thailand, Laos, Sri Lanka... oh man, it is so not going to be cool to not travel so freely and inexpensively...today I could probably fly to Thailand and back for about $100 return :(

1. My friends

5 comments:

April said...

Great top 10's. Have a good last week and safe trip home! I lost your blog but I have found it again! Take care.

Jenn said...

Love the lists! I have to say the KL top ten makes me want to pack up and squish my family into a condo with unreliable stoves, swim in 30C heat EVERY FREAKIN DAY. (we would have to hide the beagles somehow...I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem at all)

But in the end:
1. I'm glad you're coming home
2. I'm very glad you're stopping at our house for a night
3. I'm glad you'll be nearby

Athena said...

I can SO relate to your lists. I feel the same way since we left. I'd add Fresh Tropical Fruit to your list. I really miss fresh mangos! :)

Enjoy your new adventure Keely. After being away even going back to where you came from is an adventure. It'll be great. <3

Unknown said...

I'd say those lists show that it's been a great 2.5 years! I'm looking forward to being able to see you when you're back in Canada. If you miss the KL restaurants, we'll have to organize an eating/shopping weekend in TO sometime.

Jenn said...

This is it!

1. Good luck.
2. Hang in there, the trip will end
3. I'm here waiting on the other side!
4. CANT FREAKING WAIT.