Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer Vacation ~ post vacation itinerary

Wow! If I didn't know better, I'd think the Nelsons had disappeared! Seriously, it's unbelieveable that I haven't posted for almost 2 months. So, what's going on with us you may ask. It's called summer vacation and it was fantastic. Following is a brief description of our itinerary for a 6 week vacation in Canada. This is more for memory sake I'm sure as most of you either know what we did, or alternately weren't interested:

School ended June 4 and we left KL for Canada on June 6 around 9:30 a.m.~ looking at times/dates, flight seemed short as we arrived in Vancouver June 6 around 3 p.m. Not to worry though, it was regulation time (I actually timed it and it took exactly 24 hrs from our door to the door of the hotel in Vancouver).

June 7 we flew to mom and dad's for the beginning of the trip, Nathan, Amy and "the peach" were already there. Playing outside was the highlight and the fact that one could venture outside on one's own was a novel idea. There was also a lot of play trips in uncle Jeremy's car (which we had planned to use, but had too much stuff and had to borrow mom's truck). Alyssa and Hayden were happy to follow gramma Isy around and do any chore.

June 11 - 13 the whole fam went fishing at Cormorant Lake, about 5 hrs north of mom and dad's. Good times, good fish and cold weather

June 21 we headed to Saskatoon for a long overdue visit with the Markosky family. We all had a fantastic time chillin with Maddie and the dogs. We also had the opportunity to go to Wanaskewin heritage museum where, unbeknownst (i've always wanted to use that word) to me, we went for a hike. Luckily I had the backpack along for Hayden and I only had to carry Alyssa up the hills. It was a nice easy hike though and quite enjoyable (honestly).

June 23 we made our way to Camrose. We had a few days to just relax (and to go to Edmonton to get Hayden's passport renewed) as Steve's parents were in China and friends were either working or their kids were still in school. We still got to spend a fair amount of time with the Burns family, the Dobsons and had an enjoyable play with the Badrys. I also got some girl time with Jerry-Lynn, Belinda and Carrie which was a highlight! Steve's parents returned late on the 28. We had made plans for June 30 to go out for dinner in Edmonton and were lucky enough to have Harry and Heather babysit the kids. I think auntie Heather is ready to be a gramma as she was quite excited to teach Alyssa (and Hayden) basic quilting and sewing skills. A couple more days of friends and family in Camrose and we were on the road again.

July 3...now it was off to Banff. I had mentioned to Steve I would like to spend a couple days in Banff during our trip, and he booked 5 nights (a little more than I planned, but it was enjoyable). This was the only part of our trip where it was just us, and also the only hotel stay (aside for 1st and last night near the airport). We had a great time and did touristy things such as the Lake Louise gondola, bike riding, hiking and the hot springs. It was a lot of fun but, being the busy season, fun had it's price...unbelievably expensive (especially after the cheap places we stay at in Malaysia)...thank goodness friends/family put us up for the rest of the trip!

July 8 we headed back east to Lynne and Jeff's ranch by Standard. The kids were enthralled with the animals: 3 kittens, 4 cats, 3 dogs and 4 horses. Alyssa was especially in heaven. We had a great visit and did some much needed catching up with Lynne and Jeff and Annette. While Lynne was working on Friday, we headed into Calgary to watch the Stampede Parade. Although it was a lot of sitting around, the kids enjoyed the 2 hr parade once it got underway. Saturday we met up with Rob, Steph and Chole at Calaway Park. I underestimated the excitment that my kids would get from rides. Hayden threw an absolute excitement hissy fit about going on more rides. It was hilarious. Sunday the kids rode horses (Alyssa rode Elvis all by herself!!!) and we said goodbye to yet another fantastic host.

July 11 ~ dinner with Jeff, Michelle, Danielle and Logan before we headed out to Steve and Lara's place by Airdrie. Everyone did a wonderful job playing together, including the adults and we all enjoyed good food, good wine and good friends. We got to Steve and Lara's around bed time, but not to worry, we had a couple days to visit...well, the kids and I did as Steve's schedule got a little full ~ Monday he had to go to Edmonton to pick up Hayden's passport and Tuesday he had to drive mom's truck back to Regina and then fly to Calgary. The unlucky guy had 2 very early mornings and long days of driving. I must say I felt a little guilty. Again, Hayden and Alyssa had a great time with Hannah and Katelyn.

July 14 we flew to Vancouver. Our flight was cancelled though and Westjet neglected to tell us. However, they got us on a plane 3 hrs later and gave us a $40 food credit for the aiport. Going through security I realized I had forgotten Hayden's "magic wand" in the backpack he carried and that it contained liquid. I quickly took it out before the scanner and gave it to the woman. They then swabbed it and it tested positive for a banned substance (WTF?!). This resulted in a hand search of Hayden and the stroller and a loss of the wand. I just hope he is not on some no fly list! We rented a car in Vancouver and headed over to Surrey to Colleen and Kevin's for a BBQ they had planned with Heather and Jess. Kids, kids and more kids...with Heather's 3 (Kate, Grace and Jorja) and Colleen's 3 (Sophia, Landon and Houston ~ only 6 months) it was party time. Great to see all the cousins in one place. We thought about just crashing at Colleen and Kevin's as Heather, Mike and the clan were leaving the following evening for camping, but their kids seemed so upset we wouldn't be staying at their house we packed up and followed them home. Great idea too as they have a gorgeous house and an even more beautiful yard! Plus it allowed a little more visiting time with Heather. Hospitality galore!!!

July 15 brought us back to Colleen and Kevin's. We just kind of chilled out for the last 2 days, going down to the beach, playing toys inside and out, water park and a trip to the firehall by Steve and the kids when Kevin was working. More great hospitality and company. Seriously we need to get together more often with "the cousins".

All good things must come to an end though. July 17 we headed to the airport just before midnight...another 24 hrs and we were home. We are all recovering from jet lag, but school will be starting soon and life will be back to normal. I'll try post some pictures of our vacation highlights soon!

THANK YOU to all our friends and family who put up with us and put us up. You are amazing and we enjoyed spending time with you. Our door is always open! xo

No comments: