Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sugar Reducing Challenge

I had this brainwave the other day that we eat too much processed sugar in our foods, so I decided that it would be interesting to try and reduce this amount. Do you realize how many foods have processed sugar in them?! I couldn't believe it. Now, the reason I say reduce is I don't plan to give up ice cream or chocolate...I also buy things such as tubes for the kids to take for lunches because they are easy and have some nutritional value. I'm talking the everyday things...for instance, now that I'm taking lunches to school, I thought I would buy some cooked turkey or chicken (not deli meat) to throw into salads...guess what #3 on ingredients list was ~ glucose, in "fresh" ravioli, dextrose.... (tortellini is safe though!). I knew sauces had a lot, but I didn't expect it in everything! So, we've done this for about 2 weeks. I'm buying fewer foods with added sugar or sugar derivatives. Does it make a difference? I don't know, but maybe we'll be a little healthier for it.

1 comment:

April said...

Would love to hear an update in a few weeks and see how it is going for you! Reading ingredients is so good, yet so scary sometimes!! It makes eating unprocessed food so much more attractive!